Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Some comfort songs to curb cynicism and bring us home to empathy

Our ability to feel pleased is impaired in this era by constant "breaking news" stories that are really just hot-button formulas to prompt us to click.

We have more in common with our political adversaries than separates us, but we are blocked from seeing how many of our interests are actually shared -- and how change and tradition co-exist.

Yes, there are real differences between left and right, but getting past the exaggerated differences is needed if we are to arrive at social and emotional health -- with opposition that includes empathy, and disagreement that includes respect.

These musical works of depth yet caressing genuineness help me get back to that state. When each of these songs finishes,  I am less cynical than at the start.

I invite you to listen....

                   
                                    Flower children greet the day with this 
                                            sweet, unpretentious classic.
 

Whitney Houston performs Dion's song of national healing --
A salute to the good who died young. 


The Seekers give us hope. If a group can be so good, and its members
so sincere, there's reason for optimism!


How could I describe the joy and power of this song? "It isn't easy but I'll try..."

________________________________________________________________________

 
Muslim altruist Yusuf Islam, aka Yusuf/Cat Stevens turned a 1931 British-written Christian hymn called "Morning Has Broken" into an immensely popular top 40 song. A sixties U.K. pop luminary, Stevens became spiritual after surviving a near drowning in 1968, and converted to Islam a decade later, exiting the music profession to co-raise a family and run Muslim programs for poverty relief and peace.
 

Another version, from the MonaLisa Twins:
 

 
Acclaimed, eclectic Greek singer Nana Mouskouri performs a German language version:
 

________________________________________________________________________


                 Danish jazz vocalist and composer Sinne Eeg does a particularly stirring job
                                    on Michel Legrand's "The Windmills of Your Mind."


Noel Paul Stookey kept his name off all credits for his "Wedding Song (There Is Love)" because he said it was given to him in 1971 from the realm of his god after he prayed. If any music could come from a supreme being, it is this joy and wonder provoking work of dazzling chords and loving words.


The Seekers, with the way we honestly saw love. This is recorded in a familiar '60s mecca.



One of the many Welsh pop music stars performs a timeless piece. Her version is the most moving I have ever heard. 


       In their native Australia, The Seekers, bountiful fields and venerable ancient texts.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! "Good Morning, Starshine" never, ever fails me, and I love all the rest of them, too. This is a perfect mix for today. I wish I could give this entry a gold medal, or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU, Ali for those thoughts. Forward the address of this blog post, if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Nice selection of music offerigs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your choices of songs are just wonderful.  Many I had not heard in years.  They put me in a mellow mood, much needed in a time of potential fascism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote many songs & poems, over many years, working on assembly lines over the years.  Here’s one song from middle 1970’s:
     
    Well, I Come Home Real Late Last Night
                by Ira Grupper
     
    Well I come home real late last night
    From workin’ hard all day.
    Turned on the radio,
    Collapsed in my chair.
    Hoped the music would make the
    Pain go away.
    But what I heard would make               
    A songbird
    Turn in her chirper and fly.
    The tune was upbeat.
    The music sounded sweet,
    But the words done made me cry.
     
    CHORUS:
    My baby done left me
    And she’s sleepin’ with another.
    I’m drownin’ my sorrows in my beer.
    I’m smokin’ grass, I’m bustin’ ass
    And Jesus is near and dear.
     
    Then I thought about
    The words song shout
    Of love and hate and woe.
    All the country music stars sing
    Is what the bosses wish us to know.
    That everything is personal,
    Your problems are yours alone.
    Their aint no use.
    You’re born to lose,
    And Jesus will carry you home
    (in the morning).
     
    CHORUS
     
    Well I was burnin’ mad
    The way the owners had
    Fooled us all these years.
    Saying day was night, saying
    Wrong was right.
    Like sheep, we’ve all been sheared.
    Then I began to read and I saw the need
    To expose self-serving lies
    To control our lives, and this world
                 We’ve built
    Workers we must organize
    (and then we’ll sing):
     
    FINAL CHORUS:
    My boss has done left me
    And he’s resting in the graveyard.
    I’m toasting to life’s good cheer.
    I can rest at last,
    There aint no rulin’ class.
    And there aint nothin’ left to fear.
                              #

    ReplyDelete
  6. "All the country music stars sing
    Is what the bosses wish us to know.
    That everything is personal,
    Your problems are yours alone.
    Their aint no use.
    You’re born to lose,
    And Jesus will carry you home"

    In one stanza, you have demonstrated how the individualist/Calvinist salvation belief system exploits people. Excellent song! Sad to say, it perfectly accurately shows U.S. society's control of the workers.

    ReplyDelete